Tuesday 5 August 2014

Green Tea, Lime, & Mint Cooler

(Ok - so this isn't exactly baking as such but its too good not to mention.)


This summer I have found, and become obsessed with quite possibly the best high-street coffee shop cold drink ever. Every year I look forward to summer menus (partly just for inspiration) and this year, Costa wins it for me. Not only do they still have iced tea but they also have ginger beer and this beauty: the Green Tea, Lime and Mint cooler. Never have I enjoyed a so called 'blended' drink more. This cold almost slush like drink is the perfect balance of lime and mint with a little green tea in there too. But, much to my disappointment, moving home for the summer means moving out of the city and back into a costa-free town. This means that these drinks are a very rare occurrence. (And to add insult to injury, my boyfriend works there and likes to send me photos of them when he has them on his break - usually captioned with something along the lines of "u jel?". Yes, very, actually.) But if growing up in the countryside (and therefore miles away from civilisation) has taught me anything - it's that you just have to make your own versions. (Be it iced tea, pasta sauce, ugg boots...). And so here is my version, of the costa Green Tea, Lime & Mint Cooler.

This recipe has been a bit trial and error on my part, but hopefully it should work...

INGREDIENTS:

1 cup of cooled green tea
3/4 cup of cooled green tea with lemon
Juice of 1 lime
1-2 tablespoons caster sugar
A few ripped mint leaves (choose based on your own taste)
2 cups of ice

(I make this in a small smoothie maker, so I do it in small steps but if you have a good blender you could probably just put it all together at once.)

DIRECTIONS:

STEP 1: Place 1 cup of tea, mint, half the lime juice and sugar in a blender and mix together briefly. Then add 1 cup of ice and blend until there is a slush like consistency.

STEP 2: Taste, and add more lime juice if it is needed (the same goes for the sugar). Then add the rest of the tea and ice and blend until a thick slush is formed.

STEP 3: Put in a glass, add a straw and garnish with a sprig of mint (if you want, I do because it looks nice so there we go.) And then drink before it melts.

This is one of those things that really depends on your own taste. I really love mint, I buy too many mint plants and eat it with pretty much everything – it’s just so very good. But if you don’t like it that much, don’t add as much (and also some leaves are stronger than others.) But however you make it, it should definitely be refreshing (even in Scotland – who knew?)

7 comments :

  1. Hi Zoe,

    I love this drink to! They are expensive but worth noting that Costa use Monin syrups that you can buy from Amazon etc, they make a lime syrup and also an exotic green tea one
    mix with fresh lime, water and blend with ice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen,

      I've noticed them using the syrups since I made this - however I just can't bring myself to spend the money on them!
      Zoe x

      Delete
  2. Hi! Love this post, I tried this drink in Cosa yesterday and loved it! Also going home a Costa-free town for the summer, so this will definitely come in handy! Catriona xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Catriona,

      I'm so pleased you enjoyed it! Living away from cafes is my worst nightmare, I think haha.
      Zoe x

      Delete
  3. So glad I found you! I have awful pregnancy sickness and this is all I want to eat! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just made my own version. I have one of these every couple of days in work but I have a week of and missing it! Best costa summer drink ever!

    ReplyDelete